JOIN A TEAM, BELONG TO A COMMUNITY
My closest relationships, my continuing growth as a leader, and my dependency on Jesus Christ stem largely from the days, weeks, and years spent volunteering alongside other believers inside and outside the church. I am a more faithful follower of Jesus Christ, a better friend, wife, mom, and human because of joining teams in volunteering capacities. Serving (volunteering) is a necessary part of what God created us to do⎯it benefits God’s overall plan, and it will give you the opportunity to personally experience growth and community as it has done for me.
It’s not about whether we should serve, we are to serve because God tells us to. (See James 1:22, Luke 11:28, Galatians 6:10)
If you study the Bible and don’t take action based on what it says, it’s like swirling energy without any forward motion. In other words, if you sit in your car and rev the engine while keeping it in neutral, you aren’t going to go anywhere; and eventually, you will run out of gas. Thus, just studying God’s Word may feel right for a season but those euphoric feelings will dissipate when you don’t live out what God instructs you to do!
What does God say about how He created us?
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. − Ephesians 2:10 (NASB)
The word “good” in this verse is from the Greek “agathos,”2 which is deﬁned as: distinguished, honorable, and excellent. (Strong’s G18)
The word “work” in the verse is from the Greek “ergon,”3 which is deﬁned: anything accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind. (Strong’s G2041)
I love that God created each of us to do honorable, distinguished, and excellent things so that we have the opportunity to be a part of His overall plan.
What is God’s overall plan for you and me? (See 1 Peter 3:9, John 3:16-17, John 6:40, Luke 10:27)
- To love God and love our neighbor
- For every human being on earth to experience eternal life with Him through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
What does God say about using how He created us through volunteering/serving? (See 1 Peter 4:10-11 and Galatians 6:10)
- We are to use our unique, God-given capabilities to serve His people.
- We are to use every opportunity we have to do good for others.
God has a plan for everyone He created to choose having a relationship with Jesus Christ so that we can spend eternity with Him. We get to be a part of that plan by utilizing the way He created us to bring people to Him. We can do this by serving inside the church.
Which brings me to an important detail: Easter is one of those times a year when people who don’t know Jesus decide to “try church” or “go back to church.” This means LifePoint needs volunteers like you and like me for our Easter gatherings to be successful!
This time of year is a great way to “try out” how God designed us (remember those “good works”), so we can be a part of God’s overall plan of people choosing Him.
Where and how might I start serving?
- Fill out the volunteer card located on the information tables in the lobby on Sunday morning. Place your card in the offering boxes.
- Go online to LifePointNV.com/serve and register to volunteer.
- Call the church office and ask for someone to help you with the process of joining a team for Easter.
- Join one of our Explore classes to learn about your spiritual gifts⎯how God wired you to serve.
Here are some questions to ponder as you move forward in the world of joining a team and/or volunteering:
- What does volunteering look like for you?
- What will you do with the way God designed you to get started serving?
- What benefit(s) do you hope to gain by serving?
My hope is that you experience belonging to a community and you are blessed with God’s peace when you take your next step in joining a team at LifePoint.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
− Romans 15:13